Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My 5th pair of Havaianas

I don't know but at one point Filipinos had gone gaga over a pair of Havaianas I, for one was no exception. If I can remember it right, 4 years ago, a friend of mine gushing over Havaianas that when we go the mall he was wishing that there's a store that sells the Made in Brazil rubber flip flops and I was like treating him mockingly for such display of shallowness. I guess the heaven must have heard his prayer for after a few months a store opened and tons of Havaianas in all various sizes and style with corresponding prices started selling like hotcakes . Anywhere, you go, a lot of people were wearing Havaianas. It was a phenomenon, out of curiosity, I asked my friend, how much was a pair? He answered, with deference to the slipper " 600-1,000 pesos"  his answer  literally choked  me and I loudly uttered "What for a pair of bloody rubber slippers? I  mean,  how crazy could one be to buy a pair with that steep price tag? It was simply not practical. I could buy 6 pairs of Spartan slippers and be happy with it- it is still durably rubber isn't it? 

Like a bug, it was contagious, after a few sleepless nights and careful thought I bought  my first pair of Havaianas. Yes, I admit defeat to my vain self. I guess, I  understood the craze for in the store are walls with pictures of celebrities and royalties wearing pairs of Havaianas. Believe me when I say that tell or  present  a picture of a product being used by famous  people especially foreign celebrities to a Filipino and he or she will surely patronize it, shun the price. I again is not exception to the rule, what can I do it is embedded in my genes that products that are expensive and made outside the country  are far superior quality than Philippine made (not entirely true) . My first pair was a size 9, yellow and green Hava (shortened name of Havaianas slipper with blatant " Brazil"print on it. I felt, I belong to club of Hava wearers who  could identify themselves with the rich  and famous even with just on the level one rubber item. Kidding. 

Not all can afford to buy a pair. Philippines is a third world country with a monthly average salary of 6,000 plus pesos which 60 % of it  is spent of food, for one to buy a pair of Hava is downright intelligent ironically speaking. However, even if it is the case, people are still  buying it.  One time when I passed by the store in the mall, the hair on nape stood up  and goosebumps all over my body for I saw a  long queue of people with  possessed look on their eyes, clinched jaw and mouths salivating like rabid dogs outside the  Spruce , a  that sell Hava, looking like they ready for a kill. Jesting! 


What does one get from buying a pair of Havaianas? One, for its durability. I for one  can attest to it, the first pair I purchased lasted for a year. Two, for its cushion, I mean the softness of the rubber feels good to the feet. Three, its product style, and design that every time you visit a Hava store, there always a new one that one would like to own. Fourth, the shape of the slipper will retain its shape. Lastly, its acceptance to be worn with anything even with formal wear.

What are the disadvantages of wearing flipflops? First, was "overpronation" meaning flipflops does not have the kind of support like shoes does and as a result it could lead to pain in the heel, arch, toes and forefoot of the foot. Second is tendinitis, it is the over use of tendons. Third, it can cause flat fleet. Lastly, ankle sprain when you cannot hold your feet right when you trip. You still want to use slippers? I do. I admit I experience some of those foot problems I mentioned but still minor. 

The second pair of Havaianas I bought was the Cartunistas Edition which I like because of the cartoons drawn on my slipper which I find real cute. Over time with use the caricature got erased nevertheless, it retained its original shape.  How did I broke it? it suffered the same fate with 1st pair, the strap got severed. I managed to salvage by sewing  itbut it was uncomfortable to wear around for it might dissociate itself  when I am in the mall. Get the picture? It would most embarrassing. The third one was rather simple and yet it was gold in color. Again, its straps were broken when I got stuck on mud hole one rainy night. You know when you drive your feet deep in the mud , the mud will suck it hard. Fourth pair, I opted for a simpler design, an all black Hava. What happened to it? Douglas, our dog gnawed it. The fourth pair  was when I raised my hands and said " I have enough!" No more Havaianas for me.

For awhile, I switched to Rider sandals and slippers it is also made from Brazil. Brazil does makes good rubber slippers. I was quite happy with the pair I bought but some designs sucks. The one I bought for my brother sadly lasted for a month.






Then last month, I bought my 5th pair of Havainas. It is simple black in color with yellow lettering on the straps pair. Looks like I ate my own words when I declared "no more" Havaianas for me. Ironically,  also bought my niece and nephews pairs for Christmas and on their birthdays. I am a kind of person, who would always like to wear slippers or thong sandals that is why I cannot distant myself from buying a pair of Havaianas. Why not other brands? I think I am happy with Havaianas, I mean like the  habit of  just slipping my feet on a pair of  flipflops when I go out. Even when I am all dressed up  I still look decent and fashionable with just Havaianas under my feet. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment