Monday, January 24, 2011

A Song For Mama

The title does ring a bell. I borrowed the title from a song released by Boyz II Men hundred years ago. Kidding. I always love the song " A song for Mama", in fact it is one songs that will never be removed from my Ipod. Cheesy as it may sound "Mama" by the Spice Girls is another song that will I will never tire singing. Obviously, It would always remind me of my mother who struggled to raise the 8 of us. I remembered my mother would beg, borrow and plead money from my Aunts, Uncles and friends in order for her serve us food that we need to survive while our father shamelessly laze around. Going to school was hard, but me and my siblings took it on stride for we know that our struggles will come to an end. One time our youngest  sister got so sick, that she my mother have to plead for the doctor to save her despite not having the down payment to the hospital. Another, was when she had a miscarriage that she literally got up the hospital bed to the social service welfare to ask for help when  she didn't have the money to pay for the hospital  while our father was drinking somewhere living like a bachelor. Another was when the twins was born , my mother, have no choice but to give the girl twin to her brother for adoption knowing that she might not be able to give her the life that  she wanted.  Those were just few of  the many painful memories that motivated us to finish school and end our poverty.      

It is not surprising that whenever I hear songs dedicated to mother would always make me emotional. I still cannot believe how she single handedly struggled through humiliation, pride and pain to feed us. That amazing feat is very hard to understand until now. So when I hear songs about Mama makes me teary eyed and I am not ashamed to admit it. As I was browsing the net for a mama song by Boyz II Men when I chanced up a video that really made me cry a bucket. It is a poem originally written in Tagalog by Rev. Fr. Ariel F. Robles, a priest who wrote the poem dedicated to the mothers of the world. 

It is poem that made me realize how important my mother to me and my siblings. Without her, I don't know how I would live for her deeds was an inspiration to live life how my mother lived it. Despite the struggles and odds she was able to raise us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment